Appropriate and comprehensive insurance cover is vital for all clubs involving volunteers. It is the responsibility of the club to be familiar with all the clauses of the policy and provide details to all members and volunteers.


  • Insurance is only part of the risk management process. See the risk management section to implement a risk management plan
  • Be aware of the exclusion clauses in your policy
  • Contact your insurance provider if you are unsure about anything in your club policy

Australian Football National Risk Protection Program

The AFL, in conjunction with the insurance broker JLT sport, has developed a national insurance program, titled Australian Football National Risk Protection Program.

The program includes personal accident, public and products liability, professional indemnity and association liability to protect every player, team, club, league and association in Australia, including the game's officials, trainers, umpires and volunteers.  

For more information on the coverage offered through the program visit the JLT Sport website.

Types of insurance

Types of insurance you might wish to consider:

  • Public Liability Insurance: To cover an organisation for its legal liability to third parties for personal injury or property damage caused by an occurrence in connection with the insured organisation's business activities
  • Personal Accident Insurance: To cover volunteers for any out-of-pocket expenses following accidental injury, disability or death while carrying out their work on behalf of the organisation. This type of insurance would normally cover loss of income
  • Directors and Officers Liability: To compensate committee members and office bearers for loss, including legal costs, where they have committed a wrongful act in the running of the organisation
  • •Professional Indemnity Insurance: To compensate the organisation for loss incurred through a claim made against the organisation for breach of professional duty arising form negligence, errors, omissions, defamation, loss of records or documents, dishonest acts, etc by volunteers or paid staff
  • Motor Vehicle Comprehensive Insurance:  To cover vehicles owned and driven by volunteer or paid staff for loss or damage to the vehicle or third party property
  • Other types of insurance for clubs to consider include property/contents, products liability and events insurance

Download insurance resources