Latest News

WAFL Semi-Final ResultsSunday, September 7, 2014 - 11:56 PM - by Chris Pike

EAST Perth is straight into the WAFL grand final for 2014 with Subiaco and East Fremantle setting up a battle over who takes on the Royals in the premiership decider following Sunday's semi-final action.

East Perth won the second semi-final at Medibank Stadium over Subiaco 13.12 (90) to 7.16 (58) on the back of kicking the first four goals of the game, and then three quick majors in the opening four minutes of the second half.

While the Royals were in control of the contest virtually from the start, that was far from the case in the first semi-final at ATOM Stadium.

Swan Districts dominated the majority of the first three quarters to still lead by 30 points at three quarter-time, but East Fremantle had the advantage of the howling breeze in the final quarter and took full advantage with nine goals to nil in the last term to win 19.7 (121) to 14.14 (98).

The semi-final results mean that East Perth is into the Sunday September 21 grand final at Patersons Stadium and Swan Districts' season is over while Subiaco hosts East Fremantle in next Sunday's preliminary final at Medibank Stadium with a grand final berth on the line.

East Fremantle got off to a good start against a Swan Districts team coming into the finals on a four-match losing streak with the Sharks kicking the game's first two goals, but Swans then caught fire booting the next five.

The black-and-whites went on to lead by 16 points at quarter-time and then again took further control in the second quarter until the Sharks hit back just before half-time to close the deficit to just two goals at the long break.

Swan Districts again caught fire in the third term, though, with the advantage of the strengthening wind at Shark Park and the black-and-whites booted four goals to one to lead by 30 points a three quarter-time to appear to have the game won.

With the huge breeze at their backs, the Sharks delivered a stunning 9.2 to 0.3 final quarter to win by 23 points in what was a 53-point turnaround from three quarter-time.

Brett Peake kicked four goals for East Fremantle with Jack Perham adding three, Brock O'Brien two and defender Andrew Stephen two after he went forward in the final term.

Former skipper Mark McGough racked up 29 possessions for the Sharks with Rory O'Brien finishing with 23 disposals, Bradd Dalziell 21, Cameron Eardley 18, Sean Henson 17 and Ryan Lester-Smith 17 to go with five marks, five inside 50s and a goal on return to the league side from the reserves.

The retiring Steven Dodd also did a terrific job on Swan Districts' 149-game premiership veteran Tim Geappen, and picked up 17 possessions and nine marks himself. Rob Young also worked hard for 15 disposals, five marks, 28 hit outs and a goal.

Ricky Cary stepped up for Swan Districts up forward booting five goals while Tony Notte kicked three and Ryan Davis two.

Ruckman Nathan Blakely was outstanding for three quarters for Swans with 18 possessions and 29 hit outs while his younger brother finished with 17 disposals and five inside-50 entries.

Adam Faulkner picked up 27 possessions, Matt Riggio 22, Jarrad Blight 21, Aaron Elari 18 and Matthew Rogers 17.

In the second semi-final, East Perth kicked the only four goals of the first quarter in the second semi-final against Subiaco and were never really headed the rest of the afternoon ending up winning by 32 points.

Fraser McInnes and Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls kicked two goals each for East Perth while Dean Cadwallader was best afield running off half-back and finishing with 27 possessions.

Sam Butler also racked up 29 disposals, Blayne Wilson 28, Dom Sheed 25, Steven Payne 25, Brendan Lee 22, Brant Colledge 21, Nathan Blee 21 and Paul Johnson 20 to go with 31 hit outs.

Matt Boland kicked two goals for Subiaco while Wayde Twomey picked up 25 possessions, Jason Bristow 23, Joel Latham 22, Kyal Horsley 19, Chris Phelan 19 and Andrew McDougall 19 to go with 19 hit outs and six strong marks.

Meanwhile, Subiaco's reserves won straight into the grand final with a 15.8 (98) to 5.12 (42) second semi-final win over West Perth at Medibank Stadium, and Claremont thrashed East Fremantle 19.5 (119) to 7.10 (52) at ATOM Stadium.

West Perth will now take on Claremont in next Sunday's preliminary final at Medibank Stadium for the chance to play Subiaco in the grand final.

And in the colts, Swan Districts moved straight through to the grand final with a nail-biting 7.14 (56) to 7.9 (51) win over Claremont at ATOM Stadium.

South Fremantle then put together a dominant second half to come from behind and beat East Perth 11.10 (76) to 8.7 (55) in the first semi-final.

Claremont will now face South Fremantle in next Sunday's preliminary final at Medibank Stadium with the winner to take on Swan Districts in the grand final.

East Perth 13.12 (90) defeated Subiaco 7.16 (58)

Subiaco 15.8 (98) defeated West Perth 5.12 (42)

Swan Districts 7.14 (56) defeated Claremont 7.9 (51)

East Fremantle 19.7 (121) defeated Swan Districts 14.14 (98)

Claremont 19.5 (119) defeated East Fremantle 7.10 (52)

South Fremantle 11.10 (76) defeated East Perth 8.7 (55)