Latest News

WAFL Preliminary Final ResultsMonday, September 16, 2013 - 12:47 AM - by Chris Pike

EAST Perth ended Claremont's recent dominance of the WAFL with a commanding 63-point preliminary final victory at Claremont Oval on Sunday to set up a derby grand final with West Perth next Sunday.

Claremont might have won the last two premierships, played in the last three grand finals and finished on top of the ladder the last four seasons, but the Tigers have now bowed out in straight-sets meaning East Perth and West Perth will meet in a Perth derby grand final for the first time since 2002.

West Perth last week entered its first grand final since 2003 when the Falcons beat Subiaco to win the premiership.

And in Sunday's preliminary final at Claremont Oval, East Perth won its way through to its first grand final since beating West Perth in 2002 to cap off its flag hat-trick.

Claremont might have kicked the first goal of the preliminary final, but East Perth assumed control shortly after with four goals in seven minutes to suddenly lead by 23 points, and still 17 at quarter-time.

Three goals in six minutes in the second quarter brought the Tigers back to within just six points midway through the second term, but the Royals again kicked clear with the last three goals of the first half through Jamie Cripps, Adam Selwood and Mat Seal to be 23 points up at the long break.

Claremont had to find something coming out of half-time and did briefly getting to within five points after a goal to Anton Hamp but that was as close as the Tigers would get.

East Perth answered quickly with four goals in five minutes and then when Freddie Clutterbuck kicked a goal from outside 50 at the 28-minute mark of the third term the Royals were out to a 34-point advantage.

Claremont made a brief run to start the last quarter with Ian Richardson kicking a goal, but he missed another as did Andrew Foster and then ended the Tigers' hopes and East Perth ran rampant with six of the game's last seven goals to win 24.12 (156) to 14.9 (93).

East Perth's Brendan Lee and Paul Johnson are two prime Sandover Medal candidates and led the way into the grand final on Sunday.

Co-captain and midfielder Lee finished with 31 possessions and an incredible 13 clearances while ruckman Johnson had 26 touches, 35 hit outs, nine clearances, seven inside 50s and two goals.

Veteran co-captain Craig Wulff had 26 possessions and eight clearances with Selwood racking up 23 disposals, Aaron Sweet 21 and Seal 20 to go with four goals.

Bernie Naylor Medallist Josh Smith booted another four goals also for the Royals with West Coast's Jamie Cripps adding three and former long-time skipper Michael Swan two.

Defender Kyle Anderson did a solid stopping job on Chad Jones while Marcus White held Paul Medhurst goalless as well.

Luke Blackwell worked tirelessly for Claremont finishing with 32 possessions and seven clearances while captain Andrew Browne returned from injury and was terrific off half-back with 25 disposals.

Ryan Neates gathered 27 touches and Andrew Foster 23 with Jack Bradshaw, Ian Richardson, Chad Jones and Mitch Andrews all kicking two goals each.

West Perth's reserves have now won nine straight matches to qualify for next Sunday's grand final against South Fremantle after beating Perth at Claremont Oval by 42 points.

Perth finished the season as minor premiers, but lost by 91 points against South Fremantle in Round 24 and then again lost to the Bulldogs in the second semi-final and now have also lost the preliminary final to West Perth to be bundled out in straight-sets.

It has been a superb second half of the season now by the Falcons reserves team to see them join their league side in next week's grand final after beating the Demons 14.16 (100) to 9.4 (58) in the preliminary final.

Frank Stockley has been outstanding all season for the West Perth reserves in the ruck and was so again in the preliminary final with 24 possessions, nine marks, 31 hit outs and two goals.

Drew Rohde booted three goals for the Falcons while Corey Chalmers also kicked three but added six behinds as well.

Brayden Antonio added two goals to go with 24 disposals while Aidan Lynch had 23 touches, Joel Latham 20, James Embley 18 and the returning Luke Tedesco 16 in his first game back from a calf injury.

Kristian Egan kicked two goals for Perth with Joel Leeson gathering 22 possessions, Cameron Manuel 20, Kieran Hug 20 (and 10 tackles) and Kane Ransted 17.

The colts preliminary final began the day at Claremont Oval with the Tigers becoming the only team who finished the home and away season as the minor premiers to end up making the grand final.

Claremont's colts lost a second semi-final at home to South Fremantle, but bounced back strongly on Sunday after quarter-time against Subiaco to end up winning 16.13 (109) to 7.7 (49).

The Lions started well having beaten Perth in the first semi-final to qualify for the preliminary final and led the minor premier Claremont by five points at Claremont Oval on Sunday.

However, the Tigers booted three goals to one in the second quarter to lead by 14 points at half-time and then Claremont kicked away in the final term with the only seven goals to end up victorious by 60 points to set up a grand final next Sunday with South Fremantle.

Claremont 14.9 (93) lost to East Perth 24.12 (156)

Perth 9.4 (58) lost to West Perth 14.16 (100)

Claremont 16.13 (109) lost to Subiaco 7.7 (49)