Latest News

Semi Finals Colts WrapTuesday, September 11, 2018 - 4:56 PM - by Chris Pike

THE Subiaco colts have won straight through to the 2018 WAFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium leaving Swan Districts and Peel Thunder to now battle it out against one another for the right to face them.

Subiaco joined the 2018 WAFL Finals Series on Sunday having earned the week off because of finishing on top of the ladder at the end of the home and away season to earn the minor premiership.

With Subiaco's reserves and league teams also earning the minor premierships for 2018, that meant that Leederville Oval played host to all three second semi-final match ups on Sunday with the winner of each contest to advance directly to the 2018 WAFL Grand Finals at Optus Stadium.

Subiaco proved too strong in the colts second semi-final to beat Swan Districts 14.10 (94) to 7.6 (48). That means the Lions advance straight to the Grand Final in two weeks' time at Optus Stadium.

The colts first semi-final then took place at Joondalup Arena between Peel Thunder and East Fremantle. It was a thrilling affair with both teams fighting to keep their seasons alive and it was Peel who ended up prevailing 8.14 (62) to 9.6 (60).

The Sunday morning semi-final action means that Subiaco is through to the Grand Final and Swan Districts and Peel Thunder will now play in this Sunday's preliminary final at Fremantle Community Bank Oval. East Fremantle's season is over with the two-point defeat.


Peel Thunder and East Fremantle made the journey to Joondalup Arena on Sunday morning to play in the colts first semi-final looking to keep their seasons alive.

Peel came into the match having lost to Swan Districts the previous Sunday morning in the qualifying final at Claremont Oval but having finished the season second position on the ladder, the Thunder had earned a second chance during the finals.

East Fremantle finished on fire to blow South Fremantle away the previous Saturday in the elimination final too setting the stage for what was set to be a tremendous first semi-final at Joondalup Arena.

It certainly didn’t fail to disappoint with Peel starting the better kicking the only two goals of the first quarter.

East Fremantle was able to hit back strongly in the second quarter kicking three goals to just one from Peel and as a result the Sharks were able to cut the Thunder's lead at half-time to a solitary point.

Peel took back over in the third quarter kicking three goals to one to head into three quarter-time with a 20-point advantage.

East Fremantle wouldn’t go away, though, with the Sharks finishing strongly kicking five goals to two in the last term, but ultimately the Thunder held on to win 8.14 (62) to 9.6 (60).

The win means that Peel advances to the preliminary final against Swan Districts on Sunday at Fremantle Community Bank Oval while the season is over for East Fremantle.

Ben Middleton kicked two goals for the Thunder as did Jack Sears.

Lachlan Riley racked up 25 possessions for Peel, James Sturrock 22, Michael Randall 20, Andrew Butler 19, Jake Howes 16, Jarvis Pina 15 and Jason Carter 15.

Trent Rivers kicked two goals for East Fremantle to go with 19 possessions and six marks.

Milan Murdoch was tremendous for the Sharks with 23 possessions and 12 tackles while Max Murphy finished with 23 disposals, Cameron Davidson 21, Trey Ruscoe 19, Jeremy Sharp 18, Corey Robinson 18, Cody Smith 18 and Jake Diggle 17.



The first spot in the Colts Grand Final for 2018 went on the line on Sunday morning at Leederville Oval with minor premiers Subiaco taking on a Swan Districts on a high from winning its qualifying final.

Subiaco ended the home and away season on top of the ladder to earn the minor premiership and the week off to open the finals series while Swan Districts played Peel Thunder in the qualifying final, and recorded a nine-point victory at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

So the Lions and Swans locked horns in the second semi-final at Leederville on Sunday morning and it started with an exciting opening quarter with scores tied at quarter-time with both teams managing to score four goals apiece.

While Swan Districts had done well to stick with Subiaco in the first quarter, the Lions kicked away in the second term booting five goals to one to end up with a 24-point lead at half-time.

Subiaco maintained its advantage kicking the only two goals of the third quarter as well to head into three quarter-time leading by 40 points.

The Lions further extended their advantage in the last quarter with another three goals to two to end up winning 14.10 (94) to 7.6 (48).

That means that Subiaco advance straight to the 2018 Grand Final at Optus Stadium on Sunday September 23 while Swan Districts has another chance to make it by winning this Sunday's preliminary final against Peel Thunder at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

Nathan French was outstanding for Subiaco finishing with 25 possessions and three goals.

Jordan Faraone, Luke Foley and Nick Martin kicked two goals each for the Lions as well.

Tristan Hobley gathered 24 possessions for Subiaco, Foley 22, Liam Hickmott 21 (12 tackles), Mitchell Georgiades 18, Faraone 17, Jacob Peletier 17 and Ben Golding 17.

Kade Wallrodt kicked four goals for Swan Districts to go with 15 possessions, nine marks and seven entries inside the forward 50.

Ethan Nordahl also kicked two goals for Swans to go with eight kicks and four marks.

Mitchell Bain finished with 24 possessions and six tackles for Swan Districts while Blake Pescud gathered 18 disposals, Graydon Wilson 18, Seb Bright 18, Riley Garcia 16, Jackson Beck 16 and Denzel More 16.