Latest News

WAFL Week 1 AHG Finals match reportsSunday, September 3, 2017 - 7:05 PM - by Chris Pike

Share |

THE AHG WAFL Finals Series for 2017 began across the weekend with Peel Thunder sending an ominous message beating South Fremantle by 18 points and then Swan Districts keeping its season alive beating West Perth by 15.

The WAFL qualifying final took place on Saturday at Fremantle Community Bank Oval and despite South Fremantle coming into the game on a nine-game winning streak and with home ground advantage, it was Peel who started well and led virtually all day.

South Fremantle did briefly hit the front with two quick goals to start the second quarter but from there Peel regained the advantage and never surrendered.

Peel went on to lead by as much as 36 points early in the fourth quarter and even though South Fremantle staged a spirited fight back to get within two goals, the Thunder answered and won 12.8 (80) to 9.8 (62).

The win sees Peel advance to Sunday's second semi-final against Subiaco at Leederville Oval with a grand final spot at stake.

South Fremantle remains at Fremantle Community Bank Oval to play Swan Districts and West Perth. They will do battle also Sunday in a cut-throat first semi-final.

The colts began the day at Fremantle Community Bank Oval with East Perth winning a thrilling elimination final 9.12 (66) to 9.11 (65) over Peel Thunder. The Royals will now play Swan Districts.

And then in the reserves it was another thriller with Subiaco prevailing 13.10 (88) to 13.8 (86) over Claremont. That sees the Lions now take on South Fremantle in the second semi-final while the Tigers play Swan Districts.

Then on Sunday, attention turned to Steel Blue Oval for the WAFL Elimination Final between Swan Districts and West Perth.

Around 5000 fans turned out to the Bassendean to watch the two teams fight to keep their seasons alive but it was Swans who started on fire with the only five goals of the opening quarter.

West Perth fought back with the only three goals of the second term as well and then the game was right up for grabs at three quarter-time with Swans leading by eight points but with the Falcons heading towards the scoring end.

Two quick goals to start the last term put West Perth in front but Swan Districts responded in stunning fashion to kick the game's last three goals into the breeze to claim the 11.9 (75) to 8.12 (60).

The win celebrated Tony Notte's 200th game for Swan Districts and extended the career of club great Tallan Ames and coach Greg Harding for at least one more week.

Swans now take on South Fremantle in Sunday's first semi-final while the season is over for the Falcons.

The day began at Steel Blue Oval with the colts qualifying final that saw Claremont beat Swan Districts 9.11 (65) to 6.11 (47). The Tigers now earn the right to play East Fremantle in a second semi-final with Swans taking on East Perth in the first semi-final.

It was then a thriller in the reserves and Swan Districts held on for the 14.10 (94) to 13.11 (89) victory against Perth when Cody Leggett hit the post with a running shot late in the piece. That's the season over for the Demons with Swans advancing to play Claremont in the first semi-final.


South Fremantle 9.8 (62) lost to Peel Thunder 12.8 (80)

Swan Districts 11.9 (75) defeated West Perth 8.12 (60)


Claremont 13.8 (86) lost to Subiaco 13.10 (88)

Perth 13.11 (89) lost to Swan Districts 14.10 (94)

Claremont 9.11 (65)
defeated Swan Districts 6.11 (47)

Peel Thunder 9.11 (65) lost to East Perth 9.12 (66)

Click the match graphics below for in-depth game reviews.